Guinea-Bissau: President Says Deadly Coup Attempt Thwarted

President Umaro Sissoco Embalo says five hour attack on the government palace was a ‘failed attack against democracy’.

Guinea-Bissau: President Says Deadly Coup Attempt Thwarted
It was not immediately clear who was behind the assault, though the president said it 'also has to do with our fight against narco-trafficking'

 

 

The Guinea-Bissau’s President says he has survived an attempted coup after assailants armed with machine guns and AK-47s attacked the government palace for hours while the president and prime minister were also inside. The foiled attack on Tuesday in the capital of the unstable West African country came only about two

 

weeks after the military overthrew the democratically elected leader of Burkina Faso, underscoring fears that a recent spate of coups is inspiring others in the region. President Umaro Sissoco Embalo addressed reporters late on Tuesday, saying the attack on democracy had come during a government meeting at the building. Our

 

 

republican defence and security forces were able to stop this evil, Embalo said, adding that the gunfire went on for five hours and that many people had been killed or injured. It wasn’t just a coup. It was an attempt to kill the president, the prime minister and all the cabinet, he said. It was not immediately clear who was behind the

 

 

assault, though the president said it also has to do with our fight against narco-trafficking. Guinea Bissau also became known as a transit point for cocaine between Latin America and Europe in the 2000s as traffickers profited from corruption and weak law enforcement. Embalo said some of the people involved had been

 

 

arrested but he did not know how many. The state broadcaster reported that the shooting damaged the government palace. People were seen fleeing the area, the local markets were closed and banks shut their doors, while military vehicles laden with troops drove through the streets, according to the media. The 15

 

 

Guinea-Bissau’s President Umaro Sissoco Embalo speaks to the media

 

 

nation West African regional bloc known as ECOWAS, already grappling with three coups in member states over the last 18 months, called Tuesday’s violence a coup attempt and said it was following the situation in Bissau with great concern. Three countries in the West Africa Mali, Guinea and Burkina Faso have experienced

 

 

military takeovers also in less than 18 months. United Nations chief Antonio Guterres said he was deeply concerned by what was going on in the capital Bissau. Guterres called for an immediate end to the fighting and for full respect of the country’s democratic institutions. For its part, African Union said it was very concerned

 

 

 about what it also described as an attempted coup and also called on the military to free detained government members. President of the African Union Commission, Moussa Faki Mahamat, is following with grave concern situation in Guinea-Bissau, consisting of an attempted coup against the country’s government, the AU said in a

 

 

statement. Portugal’s Foreign Ministry said in a tweet that it strongly condemned attack in its former colony. The West African nation has suffered four military coups since gaining independence in 1974, most recently in 2012.