Mason Electrocuted While Working On Building Under High Tension
A middle-aged mason only known as Voice Kojo is also battling for his life after he was electrocuted by power lines close to the house he worked on. The house is a two-story edifice built dangerously close to the high tension. According to the family of the victim, he was plastering the outer walls of the house in Berekusu. He
had completed his work and was about to descend from the platform when the metallic shovel he was working with accidentally touched the live cables. He is in critical condition and is receiving treatment at the Greater Accra Regional Hospital. Ebenezer Adikar, uncle of the victim said his nephew was almost done with the work. He took
to the shovel and threw it and it touched the wire. It is sad. The cable caught fire and the lights went off. That was when the shock stopped. He fell onto some iron rods on the floor. According to him, the house owner initially refused to take full responsibility for the accident until the intervention of the Ghana Police Service. He
said the family is considering lodging a formal complaint against the house owner. They called him several times. He didn’t say anything. So the Police also reached out to him. That was when he went to see the victim at the hospital. Now we will consider filing a complaint against him. According to Engineer with the Akuapem South
Municipal Assembly, Frank Ntiamoah, the house owner together with five others contrary to earlier warnings went ahead to construct their buildings. We went there with NADMO and other agencies a few months ago and told them to halt their construction. The fact is they don’t have permit and the building is right under the high
tension. Very dangerous. But looks like they still continued. He said a two-week ultimatum has been issued to the house owners to vacate the area or the assembly will be forced to act. Now we have written to them to leave the place or we will be forced to demolish it.