Military Coup In Guinea, President Alpha Conde Arrested
Defence ministry says an attack on the presidential palace by mutinous forces has been put down
Soldiers who staged an uprising in Guinea’s capital have said in a short broadcast on state television that they have dissolved the constitution and the government in the West African state. After seizing the airwaves, the mutinous soldiers vowed to restore democracy and gave themselves a name: The National Committee of
Gathering and Development. Colonel Mamadi Doumbouya sat draped in a Guinean flag with a half dozen other soldiers in uniform alongside him as he read the statement, vowing; The duty of a soldier is to save the country. The personalisation of political life is over. We will no longer entrust politics to one man, we
will entrust it to the people, Doumbouya said, adding that the constitution would also be dissolved and borders closed for one week. Doumbouya, who has headed a special forces unit in the military, said he was acting in the best interests of the nation of over 12.7 million people. Not enough economic progress has
been made since independence from France in 1958, the colonel said. If you see the state of our roads, if you see the state of our hospitals, you realize that after 72 years, it’s time to wake up, he said. We have to wake up. Unverified videos shared on social media on Sunday apparently showed President Alpha Conde being
surrounded by soldiers. His whereabouts were unclear. This followed earlier reports of heavy gunfire in Conakry near the presidential palace though it was unclear who was responsible. Guinea’s defence ministry said that an attack by mutinous special forces on the presidential palace had been repelled, though it was also not
immediately clear who held power. The defence ministry said the attempted insurgency had been put down. The presidential guard, supported by the loyalist and republican defence and security forces, contained the threat and repelled the group of assailants, it said in a statement. Security and combing operations are
continuing to restore order and peace. However, Guinean journalist Youssouf Bah said the situation is very fluid and confusing. Since the coup plotters’ statements on the national television, the opposition supporters have taken to the streets and thousands of youth are dancing, welcoming them, he said, speaking
from Conakry. Bah described Doumbouya as a popular military officer among most of the presidential guard. The city is divided, he added. One part is supporting the coup plotters, and the other part has clashes between different groups. So it’s very difficult to understand exactly what is happening.
Reports of gunfire
Earlier on Sunday, a military source said the bridge connecting the rest of the city to the Kaloum neighbourhood, which houses most ministries and the presidential palace, had been sealed off and many soldiers were posted around the palace. A military source said the gunfire involved angry members of the
special forces, an elite army corps. The source did not say what caused the anger. Another military source said the only bridge connecting the mainland to the Kaloum neighbourhood, which houses most of the ministries and the presidential palace, had been sealed off and many soldiers, some heavily armed, were posted around
the palace. Three witnesses told the media they saw two civilians with gunshot wounds. I see groups of soldiers heading towards the presidency. There has been a lot of shooting, said Ousmane Camara, a resident of Kaloum. Footage shared on social media showed heavy gunfire ringing out over the city, and vehicles full of soldiers
approaching the central bank, close to the palace. Two convoys of armoured vehicles and pick-up trucks were seen heading towards Conakry Autonomous Port, also near the palace. The convoy was accompanied by a white vehicle that appeared to be an ambulance. Reporter from Dakar in neighbouring Senegal, said troops had been deployed in downtown Conakry and
ordered residents over loudspeakers to remain indoors. He said the area near the Hotel Kaloum was the scene of the shooting and President Conde was reportedly nearby. This comes a week after the national parliament voted an increase in budget for the presidency and parliamentarians, but a substantial decrease for those working in the security services like the police and the military.
Conde won a third presidential term in a violently disputed election last October. He ran after pushing through a new constitution in March 2020 which allowed him to sidestep the country’s two-term limit, provoking mass protests. Dozens of people were killed during demonstrations, often in clashes with security
forces. Hundreds were also arrested. Conde, 83, was then proclaimed president on November 7 last year despite complaints of electoral fraud from his main challenger Cellou Dalein Diallo and other opposition figures. A former opposition activist himself, Conde became Guinea’s first democratically elected president
in 2010 and won re-election in 2015 before doing so again last year. Critics, however, accuse him of veering towards authoritarianism. Reporter said the growing discontent with Conde was rooted in his inability to unite the population, the majority of who are Fulanis but are ruled by the minority Malinke ethnic group. It’s
interesting to see officers go to the national television on social media calling for unity and the reason being is because the military remains divided, he said. There are still members that support Alpha Conde and will go out of their way to defend the president. Colonel Mamadi Doumbouya is himself a member of the Malinke group.
Guinea has witnessed sustained economic growth during Conde’s decade in power thanks to its bauxite, iron ore, gold and diamond wealth, but few of its citizens have seen the benefits.